202 Super carb settings

Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

Uleygilera
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

202 Super carb settings

Post by Uleygilera » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:35 am

Hallo, I recently bought a very nice 202 super at auction in the UK. No history came with the bike, but it looks to have been rebuilt and sympathetically restored a few years ago.
However, it doesn't run very well. It came with the wrong short reach plug which I changed to an NGK B8ES, but it still doesn't run well.
Can anyone give me the correct jet sizes for a 1965 Gilera 202 super with original dellorto UBF22BS carb? It runs very rich: the plug soots up and stops running. It idles ok, and runs well at full throttle but is awful in-between. I thought this must be the needle height so I lowered the needle clip to top notch to make it run leaner but this hasn't helped much. Putting any choke on at all kills the engine. I'm wondering if a wrong needle and or needle jet has been fitted.
The carb is worn, the slide is a bit sloppy in the body. If the bad running is not cured by the correct needle and needle jet, does anyone know a good replacement carb?
Thanks for any help, Jamie

Uleygilera
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Re: 202 Super carb settings

Post by Uleygilera » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:45 am

Here are a couple of pics of the bike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Uleygilera
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Post by Uleygilera » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:50 am

Here's another photo, camping in the rain!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:39 am

you know about this site?

http://www.rpw.it/Documentazione.htm

Maybe there is a spare parts list with the values of the carb jets

ciao Joachim

Uleygilera
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Post by Uleygilera » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:57 am

Many thanks Joachim!
I found the 202 parts list with the jets, needle, slide etc.
The needle jet is no longer available from dellorto, i am thinking of buying a mikuni as the original dellorto carb worn. Motocarb in the UK sell a vm22, type 133 which is jetted for a triumph cub (200cc) with a flange fitting 50mm/2" centres so I'll probably buy one of those and try different jets to fine tune it. The genuine Japanese mikuni costs £125 whereas the new 22mm dellorto is only available with a tube fitting, so together with a flange converter the price is close to £200.
Cheers
Jamie

Dode
Choke-Zieher

Post by Dode » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:32 pm

Hi Jamie,
I have the same bike, but unrestored, up here in Scotland.
It may be worthwhile checking the float height, it sounds to me like it could be too high?. Eurocarb are very helpful, and may have the float height in their web site?. I have a manual, I'll see if I can find it.
Alan.