Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

Rangy
Choke-Zieher

New Saturno 500 IOM owner

Post by Rangy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:20 am

Hi All,
I live in Australia and have just bought a Saturno 500 IOM which was imported from Japan.
It has only 70km on the clock. Something has fallen onto it in storage and it has a few cracked fairings and no windshield. There is some work to do before it goes for registration.
I am planning on changing the timing belt. Oil, filter and coolant were changed before importing and look fresh, but will change just to be sure. Anything else anyone recommends? It starts fine, though won't do that again until I have changed the timing belt. Thanks for your help up until now Joachim.
Anything to consider for running in, given the low milage?

Joachim
Gileristi

Re: New Saturno 500 IOM owner

Post by Joachim » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:36 pm

congrats
Ok it has the wrong colour giggle

ciao Joachim

Rangy
Choke-Zieher

Post by Rangy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:08 am

Don't worry, there is red paint under the blue paint
:?

lambs
Fussrasten-hoeher-Leger

Post by lambs » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:14 pm

Personally, I'd take this:
Rangy wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:20 am It has only 70km on the clock.
....with a huge grain of salt and go over it with a fine tooth comb, or at least do a full maintenance check in-line with what the factory recommends, remembering that service intervals are both time and km based. Presumably there's a maintenance schedule in the workshop manual....if such a thing is available. Brake fluid would be mandatory and I'd be looking closely at the condition of the brake lines, master cylinders and calipers (fluid and dust seals). Then there's valve clearances, carb cleaning/settings, condition of wheel/swinging arm/steering head bearings.......

Totally up to you, of course.

I know you're in Australia (as am I), but what State ? In Vic this bike would need an engineering inspection as well as a roadworthy inspection before registration will be accepted by VicRoads (essentially this applies to any motorcycle built after June 1975 that was manufactured outside Australia and doesn't have an ADR plate fitted, or proof of previous full registration in Australia). If you're in another State you should check local requirements.

mikewallis
Choke-Zieher

Post by mikewallis » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:09 am

I'd also check the water pump.

My 350 IOM was also a low mileage Japanese import and the pump failed pretty quickly. The pump seal was leaking and the bearings were shot.

I'm in Melbourne if you are near by.

Cheers!
Mike

Rangy
Choke-Zieher

Post by Rangy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:45 am

Thanks Lambs for your comments. I have a workshop manual, and will go through that it more detail.

I’m living in Tasmania. I have talked with the mechanic who will do the registration inspection. He has given me some things to check including chain guard, indicator width etc. The process here seems to be get the inspection, he will fail it as it has no compliance plate, I take it to the govt dept and if everything else is ok they will issue the compliance plate, then I take it back and get that checked and he should pass it. At the same time a slightly different check will enable it to go on “Special Interest” plates which we can do if vehicle is over 30 years old.

Yes, Mike I will check the water pump when I change the timing belt. Are those your youtube videos? Very helpful anyway. When I get it on the road I will have to take the ferry across and ride some of those nice riding roads you have in the hills.

lambs
Fussrasten-hoeher-Leger

Post by lambs » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:32 am

Rangy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:45 amI’m living in Tasmania
Ok, sounds like you're on top of it. The reg process appears similar to Qld where they issue a special 'L01' plate, which is attached to the bike and confirms ADR compliance. In vic there's a mandatory engineering 'VASS' inspection (costs $400-$500) and the certificate is handed to VicRoads at registration, but no plate is attached to the bike. About time they standardised across Australia.....downside is they'd probably make the process more expensive :roll:

Did you import the bike through a dealer ?.....I'm surprised they didn't do the compliance, but maybe 'cos it's pre-'89 (?) it doesn't come under the SEVS/RAWS thing.

mikewallis
Choke-Zieher

Post by mikewallis » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:30 am

Yes my videos.

You are welcome anytime for a ride but the seat on the IOM isn't exactly suitable for long distance riding :)

Cheers!
Mike

Rangy
Choke-Zieher

Post by Rangy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:41 am

How many hours ride are you from Melbourne?

Does anyone know where I might find a windshield for the above 500?
It seems the IOM models have a different screen to the others with a cutout above the light, and is slightly longer. :(
If I can't find one I will buy a generic one and cut to fit.

mikewallis wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:30 am Yes my videos.

You are welcome anytime for a ride but the seat on the IOM isn't exactly suitable for long distance riding :)

Cheers!
Mike

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:23 pm

Hi

there is a Saturno screen available... in Germany.
Maybe shipping such a big part maybe somehow expensive ;)

https://www.mrashop.de/com/model-based- ... o/alle-bj/

I have never noticed that the IOM screen is different. I should have a closer look.
The original Saturno screen is a simple bubble screen.
Maybe a local faring producer can make something that will fit.

ciao Joachim

mikewallis
Choke-Zieher

Post by mikewallis » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:29 pm

I'm in the outer eastern suburbs which is around 40 minutes from the city unless the traffic is bad.
Rangy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:41 am How many hours ride are you from Melbourne?

Rangy
Choke-Zieher

Post by Rangy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:26 am

I know there is a difference in the screen because I made the mistake of ordering one of those without checking :(
If anyone would like a cheap one let me know. The IOM fairing is about 10mm longer and is shaped over the light.
I would try and trim it if not for the length. Yes, Joachim I will try a local fairing maker or buy a generic one and shape it.

I live about 40 min from the ferry in Tasmania, so not too bad. When I eventually get it roadworthy I will let you know. Always welcome down here of course!
mikewallis wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:29 pm I'm in the outer eastern suburbs which is around 40 minutes from the city unless the traffic is bad.

Rangy
Choke-Zieher

Post by Rangy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:38 am

I have made some progress with getting the Saturno roadworthy.
Timing belt changed, water pump checked and seems ok.
Repainted a few rusty parts and have a new screen.
New tires, bled brakes, rebuilt carb, changed oil and filter.Replaced cracked sightglass - still leaking a little.
I took it for a short ride today and it won't change into 3rd gear. 1st, 2nd and neutral fine. Any ideas?
Photos to come.....

Rangy
Choke-Zieher

Post by Rangy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:43 am

I found the gear selector rod was bent and hitting the footrest support. It just needed rotating around and then worked fine.
A short ride, but what a great handling bike!!
The sightglass was a new one I got from Bob Wright. It seems to have some small cracks in. I was careful in doing it up, but maybe not careful enough. :?

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:58 am

well done ;)

The oil sight glasses are many years old. So the get brittle.
No matter if they are traveling with a Gilera engine or are stored somewhere in a dark cellar ;)

BTW will do the 2021 calendar next time.
Would it be possible to get the first pic in high quality? ... PM

ciao Joachim