Saturno Owners in Australia

Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

Dalias
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Saturno Owners in Australia

Post by Dalias » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi, I am trying to find out how many Saturno's are in Australia - I know mine was the first - but how many more have made it here? It would be great to share info about contacts, parts, mods etc. with other Aussie owners.

Alchemist
Angstbremser

Re: Saturno Owners in Australia

Post by Alchemist » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:35 am

I have had one for a few years. Imported from the UK, just haven't got around to putting it on the road. Just need to find time....pathetic I know :oops: How do you know yours was the first ?

zibenis
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Post by zibenis » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:39 am

Dalias wrote:Hi, I am trying to find out how many Saturno's are in Australia - I know mine was the first - but how many more have made it here? It would be great to share info about contacts, parts, mods etc. with other Aussie owners.

Hi, what do you have the 350 or 500
I recently got a Saturno 350 from a guy in Brisbane who imports classics from Japan. It had been neglected for years, but was original. I have got it running and rideable.
Another menber of this forum who lives about half an hour from me just sold his Saturno 500 TT1 to a guy in Sydney. We live on the Sunshine Coast QLD so there is at least 3 incl yours. I have never seen another in my travels around Oz
cheers
Zibenis

The-Verve
Gileristi

Post by The-Verve » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:19 am

Hello!

I know about 2 guys there:

Mr. McLean, Gold Coast, 4211, Australia

and

Mr. Rutherford, Queensland, Australia

If you need a contact send me a PM.

Peter
The RP-001 Project

Weitere Infos unter http://www.rettet-peter.de

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:01 am

Yes, I'm a Saturno owner in Australia, East Coast, near Byron bay, I bought mine about 18 months ago from a bloke in Brisbane who imported it from Japan. It is a 500 IOM model, 1988, black. Having electrical (ignition coil) problems from time to time and seem to be having cooling problems now. Present project is testing weather the water pump is working properly. Had an overheating problem on are longest ride, couldn't understand what was going on, so I pulled the thermostat off and found the small O-ring on the piston was stuffed. I have managed to scrounge a replacement that I think will do the job?? But, I still have my doubts about the water pump. I have not taken it off yet!! So, I am going to run the coolant through without the thermostat in place to see if they wore a pump is working. Please tell me if mad, going mad, or just quietly insane. Leow

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:08 am

Also, wondered if the 88 model Saturno 500 IOM was intended to be run on LEADED or UNLEADED petrol. And also what octane petrol? Leow

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:30 am

leaded please
or something like a replacement for lead

ciao Joachim

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:54 am

Dear Jochim and HP, thank you very much for all the information. Leaded petrol can't be bought in Australia any more so I have resorted to using 95 octane with a product called Flash lube, valve saver fluid, led replacement upper cylinder lubricant, 1 ml to every one litre. No bubbles with open filler cap and engine running, good news. When I loosened the cam belt and turned the water pump by hand it ran very nicely clockwise but would only turn half a dozen turns before stopping in the anti-clockwise direction. Is that normal, or should it turn both ways the same? No water drops outside and it seems to turn smoothly! I think I saw one of the black Saturno's which was being pulled apart in Brisbane. I bought some parts from it. Yes, I wouldn't put ethanol and all sorts of other rubbish through any sort of engine. The fuel companies would tell you anything. Once going thank you very much for all your help and information regards Leo.

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Leow wrote:... but would only turn half a dozen turns before stopping in the anti-clockwise direction.
Uuups.... i would take care about that.
We should wait for the comment of HP aka Mr. Gilera himself ;)

ciao Joachim

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:59 am

there is no reason why the pump should not turn smooth in both directions.
Usually it did. Thererfore i said i would take care.
At the Gileraclub meeting last weekend one has 2 pumps with him. Both turn the same in both directions.
Mine broke 2 years ago.
I could hear it squeaking at a red traffic light ;)
I drove back very slow and removed the cover to turn the pump by hand. I could feel the play.
Next day i removed the pump. It turned somehow 'bumpy'
Next day it did not turn any more. Trying to do, there was a lot of rusty crumps coming out.
I suppose the bearings are running out of grease or something like that.
You may find some water in them.
If you are early enough, the sealing package is still alive and you have only to change the roller bearings.
There is a video from Luca at youtube and a guidance at the french rapidmouse site.

ciao Joachim

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:18 am

Hello gentlemen, thank you very much for your thoughts and input on the water pump conundrum. I haven't done anything to it today as my lifestyle got interrupted by that dirty word WORK. But, tomorrow AM, Saturday I think I best remove the water pump and have are look!! I had another interesting phenomena which was the fan did not turn on, when I was running the bike on the stand at idle, with a reasonable increase in temperature gauge. But, when I turned the ignition switch off the fan turned on!! I don't know what you call the temperature sensor screwed into the radiator (I think of it as a thermocouple-- but I could be wrong) but I have tested it with a multimeter and it does pass current at about just over 90°C. The thermostat just off the engine block/or water pump does not seem to be the type that you can see if it's working or not by putting it in, and heating up water. But maybe I show my ignorance of this. I'll give it a go?? What do I look for if, and when I take the water pump out? Is it just a case of trying to feel if the bearings are smooth running or not, the seals obviously sealing, or the whole thing being full of crap! Regards Leo

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:45 pm

the brass sensor in the head is for your gauge in the cockpit only.
Depending on teh temperature it shows a different ohm value.

The switch for the fan is in the left part of the cooler.
As you said it can easily be tested with a continuity tester or ohmmeter.
Funny that it only works when ignition is off.
Maybe there is something wrong in the harness.

Be carefull while trying to remove the water pump.
Sometimes it sits very firm in the bore in the head (caused by corrosion)
Don't use a screw driver or something like that to pull it out.
The 'ears' will brake of with an ease :(
Soaking in WD40 or so will give a help.
The longer, the better.

Good luck, Joachim

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:44 am

Good morning gentlemen, or whatever hour of the day it is where you are? I got the water pump out, no damage done in removing it? It was very clean but when I looked in through the access hole I could see that there was a orange/red material shredded inside with little bits sticking out. I presume this is some type of seal that is disintegrating? Now that I have the water pump out the logical thing to do would be to overhaul it/recondition it. Could you please help me with the whereabouts to purchase a bearing kit and also a seal kit (unless they all come in one packet). I will give Bob Wright an email enquiry and see if he has the necessary or is there somewhere/someone else who is equally good. I don't have the necessary gear to do the job myself but I know of a couple of" old" motorcycle mechanics who would I think know how to replace it/repair it with the necessary parts and the UTube video which makes it appear very easy but that's why I know it's beyond my capabilities. Thank you very much for all your help, it is much appreciated. Regards Leo. PS please excuse my very long winded ramblings it's because I use Dragon 10 which is a speech activated typing system which tends to go forever, especially for someone like me. Thanks

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:46 am

HP, I just about wet myself laughing, just what you need when messing with motorcycles. Thank you very much for the day electrical background. I'm not very good electrically, so thank you. I used to employ a young German girl and when I mentioned learning German she just laughed! And said my English wasn't all that good anyhow. Or, happiness is very elusive, especially with motorcycles. Thanks Leo

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:23 am

Hello, you 'r dreaming! Me translate anything into anything but bad English (Australian) is just not going to happen. By the way, the German girl DOES NOT live with me! So I do not have a live-in German translation service! with benefits. She used to own a Ducati (white) but she sold it and now has a Yamaha. I will get her to interpret the video, but she lives about 70 K away.