B300 extra parts

Gesuche (Gesuche ohne Antwort werden nach 6 Monaten gelöscht)
Parts wanted (Topics without activity will be deleted after 6 months)

Moderator: Joachim

Todd
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

B300 extra parts

Post by Todd » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:21 am

Looking for following parts, any help appreciated
I purchased a basket case b300extra in 1988 and need the following to complete
Engine number 31 1593
Gearbox spring 21075
Foot brake pedal 26440
Dellorto slide adj 1095/1
Headlight reflector

Anyone no what year bike is 1950 something?
Bike purchased in Australia but I moved it to my home in New Zealand

I have bike running but unfortunately jumps out of 1st gear, it had broken spring in gearbox and I improvised with a similar spring , maybe this is why it jumps out of 1st gear ? Any other ideas?
Cheers
Todd
New Zealand

lambs
Heizer

Re: B300 extra parts

Post by lambs » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:01 am

Todd, welcome...
Todd wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:21 am
I purchased a basket case b300extra in 1988
B300 is one Gilera I'd like to get hold of. Cheap basket case would be nice but a bit like hen's teeth :shock:

Any chance of a pic ?
Todd wrote:
Engine number 31 1593
Nozem is the resident expert and should be able to help with the age/year of your bike. They were made for many years, 1954 through to around 1970 but your engine number might suggest it's from the 50's (??)
Todd wrote:
Gearbox spring 21075
Foot brake pedal 26440
Contact Bob Wright. He sometimes can take his time replying but has stock of parts for these old bikes.

http://www.bobwrightmotorcycles.co.uk

There's a brake pedal on ebay.it but a bit expensive and the seller doesn't seem to ship outside the EU:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Pedale-freno-po ... rk:43:pf:0
Todd wrote:
Dellorto slide adj 1095/1
Again try Bob Wright, but also available from Dellorto UK:

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/dellort ... 34mm-long/

Of course, shipping to OZ/NZ is the killer :(
Todd wrote:
I have bike running but unfortunately jumps out of 1st gear, it had broken spring in gearbox and I improvised with a similar spring , maybe this is why it jumps out of 1st gear ? Any other ideas?
Spring is a possibility, but I'd expect it to affect other 'downshifts' if it were the culprit. Another thing to check is the shift drum detent spring and plunger but again, other gears are likely to be affected if that was the problem area. Unfortunately these bikes use a fairly complex internal shifter arrangement compared to modern bikes. The linkage between the shift drum and the gear dogs is a system of levers and pins with supporting shafts. Assuming the 1st gear dogs themselves aren't worn, 'jumping' out of gear probably means lack of full engagement possibly due to wear or other damage in the selector mechanism....or perhaps something else, like missing parts (eg adjustment washers or shims) in the mechanism. In any event, since the selector spring needs to be replaced, which requires splitting the cases (I think ?), it will be an opportunity to examine all the selector parts and gears.

Todd
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Post by Todd » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:12 am

When I originally re assembled ( all most 30 years ago) I didn’t have diagrams, so shims quite possibly not in or in wrong position thanks for advice, I might need some more re condition of dogs, what should I look for ?
Will follow up with bob wright re parts cheers

lambs
Heizer

Post by lambs » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:21 am

Todd wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:12 am
When I originally re assembled ( all most 30 years ago) I didn’t have diagrams, so shims quite possibly not in or in wrong position thanks for advice, I might need some more re condition of dogs, what should I look for ?
Working without diagrams/manuals would have made things much harder, plus the fact that, being a basket case, there's a real possibility of small parts being missing. I've attached a diagram of the exploded gearbox parts list for an early B300. The gear selector linkage mechanism is the parts labelled 35, 56 and 61-65. If either of the washers (shims ?) labelled 56 are missing it could affect gear engagement, but the washer at extreme right is related to first gear in particular (parts 28 and 31). However if any of the pins in the mechanism (65, 67 and on 35) are worn, that would also introduce slop and potentially affect gear engagement. That said, unless something unusual has occurred, these parts should not suffer much wear in normal use.

You can see the engagement dogs on the face of part 32 and these should engage with matching 'holes' in first gear (28). The dogs are little round cylindrical projections maybe 8-10mm in diameter and a similar height. They should not be badly chipped or obviously worn. Probably best to post up a photo when/if you get to that point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nozem
Gileristi

Post by Nozem » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:55 pm

Hi Todd,

Great to see so much joy, enthusiasm and dedication for Gilera from so far away! According to the VIN number I think that your bike was probably produced in mid 1958. The first 2 digits *31- tells me that it is a model EXTRA. I am very curious if you have a 1st, 2nd or 3rd series engine. Can you upload a picture of your B300 Extra? In the picture below are the 3 different series. On the left the series 1, on the right a series 2 and in the center a series 3 engine.

Greetings,
Nozem rulez
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lambs
Heizer

Post by lambs » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:55 am

Interesting.....looks like they made significant changes to the head design over the years for some reason.

Nozem
Gileristi

Post by Nozem » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:45 pm

That´s right, the main reason being heat control. On the first series the engine had a tendency to overheat *deibel* . So for the second series they added larger cooling fins to the heads. Unfortunately that was not enough to tackle the heat problems, so for the third series they changed the cylinder and head design completely. The spark plugs moved from the back of the cylinders to the sides, the exhaust angle was changed and both cylinder and head got even larger cooling fins.

Nozem rulez

Todd
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Post by Todd » Sun May 19, 2019 6:28 am

Great thanks for info, my engine is the 3rd version
I have engine mostly apart except I have a problem removing sleeve which sits in front of drive sprocket nut and is bush for kickstart gear, is it threaded ? And if so normal right hand thread ? Sleeve has 2 notches maybe for special tool?
I have a photo but don’t know how to upload
Also unfortunately broke bottom oil piston ring so I need to source new piston ring set. Also my engine doesn’t have gasket between crank cases but appears on some diagrams, do I need a gasket?
Thanks for any info
Todd
New Zealand

lambs
Heizer

Post by lambs » Mon May 20, 2019 11:01 am

I think I can see some thread on the shaft in the 'notch', which would explain the presence of the notches. The attached screenshot shows the location and parts, but no special tool shown. A little heat and a tap with a brass drift might be enough, but thread type will be a guess.....I'd assume a normal RH thread - 50% chance of getting it right :D

For piston rings you could try Bob Wright or maybe King of Piston:

http://www.thekingofpiston.com/index.php?lang=en

A paper gasket would have been normal. The range of sealants we have today just weren't available back when these engines were made. You have the option of getting hold of a gasket set or using a sealant for the crankcase halves. Given that you will need head gaskets, etc, a complete gasket set would probably be the way to go. Personally, I use a spray sealant such as Hylomar on paper gaskets to give the maximum sealing potential....sort of 'belts and braces' approach, particularly with thin paper gaskets continually exposed/bathed in oil.
Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 6.01.33 pm.png

Todd
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Post by Todd » Sat May 25, 2019 3:03 am

Great thanks for help , I got it off LEFT HAND THREAD, gets me every time !

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Sat May 25, 2019 7:17 am

*thumb*

ciao Joachim