202 engine case paint ?

Das Forum für Oldtimer
Bulletin Board for vintage bikes

Moderator: Joachim

lambs
Fussrasten-hoeher-Leger

202 engine case paint ?

Post by lambs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:14 pm

The paint used on the crankcase halves of the 202 engine was in pretty poor condition, so I had them vapour blasted. This removed all the old paint nicely, but has revealed the casting surface defects that the paint was used to hide. Painting was a common method used in those days (60's) to hide cosmetic defects in expensive castings that would otherwise have been rejected. Also unplated bolts could be used for the crankcase halves to reduce costs.

Anyway, does anyone have a spec, paint code, etc for the paint Gilera would have used ?

I expect an aluminium 'coloured' high-temp engine paint will probably be good enough for the purpose.

TIA

Nozem
Gileristi

Re: 202 engine case paint ?

Post by Nozem » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Hi Lambs,

I used a spray can of "Argento Martellato" as it is called in Italy for the crankcases of my Gilera 202 Super. These cans are for sale at the classic bike fairs in Italy. But I guess that a regular spray can of Hammerite or Rust-Oleum hammered silver will do the job just fine. The only difficulty is the heat resistance. You can buy hammered silver or heat resistant silver, but I haven't found spray cans of hammered heat resistant silver anywhere. For my 202 I went for the original option (hammered) and I am hoping for the best that the paint will hold :oops:

Greetings,
Nozem rulez

Joachim
Gileristi

Re: 202 engine case paint ?

Post by Joachim » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:36 am

if you use heat resistant paint, please keep in your mind that it may need heat for hardening.

ciao Joachim