202 Super carb settings

Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

Uleygilera
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

202 Super carb settings

Post by Uleygilera » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:35 am

Hallo, I recently bought a very nice 202 super at auction in the UK. No history came with the bike, but it looks to have been rebuilt and sympathetically restored a few years ago.
However, it doesn't run very well. It came with the wrong short reach plug which I changed to an NGK B8ES, but it still doesn't run well.
Can anyone give me the correct jet sizes for a 1965 Gilera 202 super with original dellorto UBF22BS carb? It runs very rich: the plug soots up and stops running. It idles ok, and runs well at full throttle but is awful in-between. I thought this must be the needle height so I lowered the needle clip to top notch to make it run leaner but this hasn't helped much. Putting any choke on at all kills the engine. I'm wondering if a wrong needle and or needle jet has been fitted.
The carb is worn, the slide is a bit sloppy in the body. If the bad running is not cured by the correct needle and needle jet, does anyone know a good replacement carb?
Thanks for any help, Jamie

Uleygilera
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Re: 202 Super carb settings

Post by Uleygilera » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:45 am

Here are a couple of pics of the bike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Uleygilera
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Post by Uleygilera » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:50 am

Here's another photo, camping in the rain!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:39 am

you know about this site?

http://www.rpw.it/Documentazione.htm

Maybe there is a spare parts list with the values of the carb jets

ciao Joachim

Uleygilera
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Post by Uleygilera » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:57 am

Many thanks Joachim!
I found the 202 parts list with the jets, needle, slide etc.
The needle jet is no longer available from dellorto, i am thinking of buying a mikuni as the original dellorto carb worn. Motocarb in the UK sell a vm22, type 133 which is jetted for a triumph cub (200cc) with a flange fitting 50mm/2" centres so I'll probably buy one of those and try different jets to fine tune it. The genuine Japanese mikuni costs £125 whereas the new 22mm dellorto is only available with a tube fitting, so together with a flange converter the price is close to £200.
Cheers
Jamie