Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

cavemanperiod
Angstbremser

Part number for xrt 600 timing belt

Post by cavemanperiod » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:39 pm

Hello guys,
Could someone tell me please what is the part number for XRT's 600 timing belt?
Thank you.
Ted

Joachim
Gileristi

Re: Part number for xrt 600 timing belt

Post by Joachim » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Dayco 137RXR180

Where did you come from?
I think you can get one from Bob Wright in GB or from Gottfried Hahne (www.hahne-power.de) here in this forum.
In the german part of the forum a member was selling some belts. Just search for Dayco.
Maybe there is still one available.

BTW you will need a flywheel puller M38x1,5.
Buzetti is selling this for a Suzuki Burgmann.

ciao Joachim

cavemanperiod
Angstbremser

Post by cavemanperiod » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Joachim wrote:Dayco 137RXR180

Where did you come from?
I think you can get one from Bob Wright in GB or from Gottfried Hahne (http://www.hahne-power.de) here in this forum.
In the german part of the forum a member was selling some belts. Just search for Dayco.
Maybe there is still one available.

BTW you will need a flywheel puller M38x1,5.
Buzetti is selling this for a Suzuki Burgmann.

ciao Joachim
--------------------------
Hello Joachim,
Thank you for your reply.

I am in Canada. Just got my XRT 600 imported to this country.
It has 16 000 km on the clock and i know the previous owner did not change the belt yet.

I was thinking that the belt that this engine needs is a common belt used in the industry, so I want to buy one here.
I just need to know what the belt number is so I knew which one to order.
Otherwise I would need to remove it from the engine and it is not time efficient way of doing this.
Yes. I know I need to remove the flywheel.

Best regards.

Ted

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Please don't start the engine before you have changed the belt.
It might be the last time you have started this engine. Be warned.

It is not a common industrial belt. Seems to be an exclusive design for Gilera.
With the Dayco number you maybe able to get one from your local Dayco trader.
Here in Germany it's very hard to get one. Also the Dayco dealers did not know about this belt ;)

good luck, Joachim

cavemanperiod
Angstbremser

Post by cavemanperiod » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:26 am

Joachim wrote:Please don't start the engine before you have changed the belt.
It might be the last time you have started this engine. Be warned.

It is not a common industrial belt. Seems to be an exclusive design for Gilera.
With the Dayco number you maybe able to get one from your local Dayco trader.
Here in Germany it's very hard to get one. Also the Dayco dealers did not know about this belt ;)

good luck, Joachim
---------------------------------------

You bet, I would not even attempt to start it. I own a 1988 Moto Morini Coguaro, which has a similar belt in its engine.
I am familiar with the issue.
But thank you for that your care.

I may add that my Coguaro was purchased with omly 11 000 km. It has a shorter belt than an XRT and when I was having the belt changed I noticed that it was just beginning to fry. Manual recommends to change the T belt in Coguaro every 10 K km.

I gave the Dayco belt number to my local belt shop. They are familiar with this brand.
We will see what they will find.

Ted

kano nordi
Kurvenwetzer

Post by kano nordi » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:11 am

Hi Ted,
As Joachim said Dayco is the only supplier,like you I thought it would be a standard industrial belt, it must have a special construction though, as its tooth form and width are quite normal.
Like you I also have a Morini which can use industrial belts especially if you have the B fitment. Look on the Dutch Morini site for more info.
I would recommend changing every 2 years regardless of mileage and if you store new belts a cool dark place is best, next to the tomatoes in the bottom of the fridge is good :lol: if you don't mind rubber smelling salads.
Regards
John

cavemanperiod
Angstbremser

Post by cavemanperiod » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:34 am

kano nordi wrote:Hi Ted,
As Joachim said Dayco is the only supplier,like you I thought it would be a standard industrial belt, it must have a special construction though, as its tooth form and width are quite normal.
Like you I also have a Morini which can use industrial belts especially if you have the B fitment. Look on the Dutch Morini site for more info.
I would recommend changing every 2 years regardless of mileage and if you store new belts a cool dark place is best, next to the tomatoes in the bottom of the fridge is good :lol: if you don't mind rubber smelling salads.
Regards
John
-------------------------------
Hi John,
One learn something in here every day. What a super crowd.

It sounds like a plan, changing the belt every two years. Is there any warning sign that could be found on this belt telling the time is up for the belt change or nothing at all?

Just curious about this storage tip. Why tomatoes? I understand a light can have a damaging effect. High temperature also. But why tomatoes? I do not think they would be edible after absorbing some rubbery fumes from a belt.
It is similar to if one would want to remove a gasoline odour from a car's trunk. Put apples in it. They will abnsorb the smell. But it is not a good idea to eat them after.

Ted

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:56 am

cavemanperiod wrote: Is there any warning sign ...
No

ciao Joachim

kano nordi
Kurvenwetzer

Post by kano nordi » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:22 pm

Regards
John
-------------------------------
Just curious about this storage tip. Why tomatoes? I understand a light can have a damaging effect. High temperature also. But why tomatoes? I do not think they would be edible after absorbing some rubbery fumes from a belt.

Ted
Just a cool dark place is good but if you live in a hot climate , as I do, the bottom of the fridge is the only place to keep them cool.
I is better than breaking a belt and trying to repair the damage after :cry:
John

kano nordi
Kurvenwetzer

Post by kano nordi » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi Ted,
If you look the "for sale" on this site Keneki has 5 Dayco belts at Eu29.00 each, or try Hanne Power,
John

hahne
Gileristi

Post by hahne » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:24 pm

Hahne-Power not Hanne-power!!!! Greetings Gottfried

kano nordi
Kurvenwetzer

Post by kano nordi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:57 pm

hahne wrote:Hahne-Power not Hanne-power!!!! Greetings Gottfried

Oooops :oops: Sorry Gottfried, my key finger must have slipped :cry:
John

cavemanperiod
Angstbremser

Post by cavemanperiod » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:18 pm

kano nordi wrote:Hi Ted,
If you look the "for sale" on this site Keneki has 5 Dayco belts at Eu29.00 each, or try Hanne Power,
John
---------------------------
Thank you John.
I think I have it aranged now.
Just the time is needed for the belt to arrive in Canada.
Can't wait to experience a Gilera.
Talk to you all soon.
Ted

kano nordi
Kurvenwetzer

Post by kano nordi » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:17 am

Can't wait to experience a Gilera.
Talk to you all soon.
Ted[/quote]

Hi Ted,
I think you will like it, they all have a real stormer of an engine, I got a Nordwest 1st, then an RC600 found covered in chicken shit in a farm, that I bought for spares, which having had a good look at is going to be restored, as I have enough bits to put it back into order and lots of off road to make it worth while, I then bought the "infamous Norturno" built by John Rushworth, a naked Saturno fitted with a modified Nordwest engine, which I brought back to Africa in May and have now refitted a fairing, sorted its mad spaghetti wiring, so it now looks something like a Saturno should, but is still work in progress before I get a 1st proper ride here.
Regards
John

cavemanperiod
Angstbremser

Post by cavemanperiod » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:55 am

kano nordi wrote:Can't wait to experience a Gilera.
Talk to you all soon.
Ted
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
H John,
Very encouraging. Thanx. A fact you did not stop on just one Gilera tells me this must be a fun bike indeed.
I have not researched a Saturno yet. But initially my goal was to buy a Dakota 500. I like the larger fuel capacity in this model. But I was unable to find one. So XRT 600 came along and I bought it. Quite interested to know if I missed something really special by not buying (just yet) a Dakota.
Knowing myself, after getting to know Gilera a natural turn of events is to look further and check out more Gilera models, including Saturno.
All the best.

Ted

--------------------------------------------------

Hi Ted,
I think you will like it, they all have a real stormer of an engine, I got a Nordwest 1st, then an RC600 found covered in chicken shit in a farm, that I bought for spares, which having had a good look at is going to be restored, as I have enough bits to put it back into order and lots of off road to make it worth while, I then bought the "infamous Norturno" built by John Rushworth, a naked Saturno fitted with a modified Nordwest engine, which I brought back to Africa in May and have now refitted a fairing, sorted its mad spaghetti wiring, so it now looks something like a Saturno should, but is still work in progress before I get a 1st proper ride here.
Regards
John[/quote]