Won't start

Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

Alchemist
Angstbremser

Won't start

Post by Alchemist » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:16 am

I recognise this is a difficult question to answer but here goes....

Finally got around to changing the belts on my Saturno. Imported it over a year ago into Australia. Didn't start it as recommended until belts changed.

Got all the right gear and thought I did it correctly according to the manual ie timing markers all lined up. Just to make sure I took out the spark plug and rotated the rear wheel in gear. No locks ups or valve/piston contact that I could hear. Wheel just turned nicely up and over several compression cycles.

Drain out all the old petrol, get new battery.....wont start. Checked spark...OK. Checked fuel getting to carby....OK. Float in carby not stuck so fuel should be getting into the bowl. Still won't start. Turns over but its like no petrol is getting into the engine. I even sprayed carby cleaner direct into the carby while starting....nothing...not a cough.

Suggestions appreciated.

Do I need to pull the head off and check ? Have I somehow buggered the intact and no petrol is getting in. I really am at a loss.

Joachim
Gileristi

Re: Won't start

Post by Joachim » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:42 pm

Alchemist wrote:Imported it over a year ago into Australia.
Maybe there has been old fuel in the carb bowl. The parts which didn't vaporise may now block the jets. You have cleaned the carburator?
Will it smell like fuel while starting? Plug is wet? Then your carb may be ok.
Spark is ok?
Don't take apart the head. First check al the 'cheap' things.
If the timing belt is mounted in the right way I think there should be everythin ok in the head... if that was so before you bought it ;)

good luck, Joachim

thorkill the tall
Angstbremser

Post by thorkill the tall » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:57 pm

Make sure you didn't time it 180 degrees out.