Electric main switch

Das Forum für Oldtimer
Bulletin Board for vintage bikes

Moderator: Joachim

ivor
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Electric main switch

Post by ivor » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Hello all, I have partial success with the 150 sport, she runs ! However, the ignition charging light does not go out. I may have wired something wrong, the problem is I now have SIX wiring diagrams, all slightly different, and I believe many bikes came with some sort of connector strip that is numbered. My bike does not have this. Can anyone tell me what each of the numbers on the back of my switch should be connected to ?
Many thanks !
PB130011.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ivor
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Re: Electric main switch

Post by ivor » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:16 am

Has nobody seen a switch like this before ?

rivera
Lachgastuner

Post by rivera » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:55 am

I am sorry,
my ignition switch is different and does not work also.
Maybe the voltage regulator has a defect and does not charge the battery?
Have you checked that?
Cheers
Uli

ivor
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by ivor » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:21 am

Hi Uli, it doesn't run for more than a split second, so I can't test the regulator ! I have rewired the headlight to what one of the diagrams seems to suggest, I will post later a diagram and perhaps someone can see what I have done wrong, cheers, Tony.

Nozem
Gileristi

Post by Nozem » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:16 pm

Hi Ivor,

Maybe this will help you out...

Greetings,
Nozem rulez
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ivor
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by ivor » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi Nozem, thank you very much, but I have rewired the bike myself without the standard wire colour, and have bypassed the emergency switch as it is faulty !
I have now got the bike running ok, (timing and battery condition were to blame), and using an old MZ regulator also, I have got the ignition warning light to dim a little. But, not at all with the Bosch regulator. I have seen the price of the original regulators, has anyone a cheap modern replacement that they can recommend ?
Many thanks for your trouble,
kind regards, Tony.
(ps - I will try to check this forum more often ! ).

Nozem
Gileristi

Post by Nozem » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi Tony,

The regulators are often causing electrical problems on classic Gileras. Best advice is to fit an electronic regulator.
These electronic regulators are so small that you can even fit them in the original regulator housing if you want.
Last year I fitted one from http://www.beckelektronika.nl/ on my own Gilera Giubileo 202 Super.
There are 3 types available for 6V systems, if I am not mistaken you will need the Lucas model but I am not sure.
Check this with mr Beck before you buy one. The only down side is that you will need to do some rewiring.
As a result the warning lights and the emergency switch are bypassed (but that was already faulty on your bike :P ).

Greetings,
Nozem rulez

ivor
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by ivor » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:36 am

Hi Nozem,
I am still tearing my hair out over this ! Are you able to tell me where the wires on the switch are coming from ? I do not have a reference for the colours, and I see the wires for the emergency switch seem to exit the headlamp shell.
I would be interested in how they are wired, as I mentioned before, I have bypassed the switch, (so there is no emergency facility), but I may have wired it wrongly.
Cheers, Tony.
ps - I also have a spare generator stator that also does not work, and I am slightly puzzled by the letters on it. I assumed E was earth, D+ is obvious, and that the screw on the top right brush is for DF. But inside I see what looks like a broken earth point. So is the E not the earth do you think ?
Sorry about this, I have the bike running fine, nearly all of it is finished, just these wiring problems ! Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh ............... :evil:

ivor
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by ivor » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:46 am

oops, photos !

rivera
Lachgastuner

Post by rivera » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:38 pm

Hi Tony!
I can´t tell you either how to wire the damned thing!
If this spare generator stator plate is not working, why bother ?
Here is a link to an italian forum showing the same stator:

http://www.motoclub-tingavert.it/t758938s.html

There are two cables running from the dynamo an one from the interuptor to the ignition coil.
I think connector E is DF ?

In my bike there is am Marelli dynamo installed which is looking different.
Isn´t the whole dynamo earthed through the engine? There is no extra earth cable.
I found a wiring diagram for a 150 Sport/ Rossa with a similar looking
stator plate but with different lettering (D+ and DF) Look here:
schema_rossa.jpg
I guess now confusion is complete...
Cheers
Uli

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:28 pm

maybe Google will help.
There are lists out there in which the meaning oft the terminal numbers of vehicle electric parts are described.

You will find the numbers (51, 61....)
and also the letters (D+, DF ....)

D+ is the voltage for your electric circuits.
DF is the field voltage for the dynamo.
I suppose this will be E.

Maybe this is the italian standard.
I only knwo about the german numbers and letters. But they maybe the same in other parts of the world.

ciao Joachim

ivor
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by ivor » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:51 pm

Hi, yes, the numbers are internationally recognised. My problem is I am not sure if that diagram you show, the one I am using, is correct for my switch. I think it is, but haven't yet found out whether my regulator is faulty, my generator, or both !
I have also come into some more information this evening, so I will report back tomorrow !
Kind regards, Tony.