98 Giubileo Sei Giorni

Das Forum für Oldtimer
Bulletin Board for vintage bikes

Moderator: Joachim

siatamm
Angstbremser

98 Giubileo Sei Giorni

Post by siatamm » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:38 pm

I recently bought what I thought was a 60s era 124, but with the help of a forum member and the Registro Gilera website I think I have a 1961 98 Giubileo Sei Giorni. the engine and frame numbers are *002*1706*.

Some features are:

17in. wheels
80MPH speedometer
54 tooth rear sprocket
Del'orto ME18DS carburator
White frame with white and black gas tank
Original looking sump guard in front of engine

I'm new to Gileras and would appreciate anyone who could help explain how the Sei Giorni differs from other 98 models. It needs a complete restoration and I would like to know where could find photos, parts and information.

Thank You

Peter

siatamm
Angstbremser

Re: 98 Giubileo Sei Giorni

Post by siatamm » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 pm

I'd be thrilled if someone could even direct me to a PHOTO of a 98 Sei Giorni (not a 124 Sei Giorni)

Thanks,

Peter

rs
Gileristi

Post by rs » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Hello Peter,

I'm not quite shure about the exact model differences, but you may try to search
with GOOGLE 'Gilera sei giorni 98' or something similar. This will provide some pictures too.

Regards, Reinhard
Gruß, Reinhard

siatamm
Angstbremser

Post by siatamm » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:23 pm

Greetings Reinhard,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have Googled Gilera 98 Sei Giorni as well as Gilera Giubeleo 98 6 day and every other combination of relevant words that I could think of as well as Gilera history, Gilera types etc. I also have the book GILERA THE COMPLETE STORY.

So far I have Identified the serial number in the Gilera Registro. There are plenty of other references that the 98 Sei Giorni exists but no information or photos. I even found a 98 Sei Giorni head on e-bay.

Thank You,

Peter

rs
Gileristi

Post by rs » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:19 pm

I've found two pictures that might interest you:

The first is from 'Mick Walker: GILERA The complete Story'
Unbenannt-Scannen-01 (Large).jpg
the other ist from 'MOTOCICLISMO racconta la storia della GILERA'
Unbenannt-Scannen-02 (Large).jpg
it shows a works model that has never been sold to the public.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gruß, Reinhard

siatamm
Angstbremser

Post by siatamm » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:32 pm

Reinhard,

You have amazed me, I have this book and never noticed that photo. My only excuse is that I never looked in the "Dirt Bikes" chapter as they don't interest me.

Actually my Gilera doesn't look much like these. If you picture a normal 98 with a white frame, a black tank with white side panels and black headlamp thats pretty much it. It does have the engine sump guard and rear shocks more like the ones in the photo.

I sent a letter off to the Gilera Registro and they requested photos, so that is encouraging.

I will try to post photographs if I can figure out how to do it.

Many thanks to you,

Peter

Nozem
Gileristi

Post by Nozem » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:12 pm

Hi Peter,

At first, congratulations with your purchase *thumb* ! The sei giornis models are quite rare and sought after, especially in Italy. In the days they raced them until destruction so very few are left. Gilera sold a sei giorni road version and an offroad version, derived from the factory endurance racers. The original color scheme of the 98 sei giorni was white on orange. I have attached a picture of the road version, taken from the Gilera 98 instruction manual which yo can download at http://www.rpw.it/

According to your information the model has been prepared for some offroad action? The engine sump guard is actually an original part. Furthermore the offroad version has a strenghtened rear frame section from the suspension mounts to the footrests, as you can see in the pictures from Reinhard. The road version doesn't have the extra tubes, and has regular toolboxes. I am curious which version you have got parked in your barn, Peter? Perhaps you can upload some pictures of your little project bike and make us all drool :o :D :lol: ?

Greetings,
Nozem rulez
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

siatamm
Angstbremser

Post by siatamm » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:50 am

Thanks for the response. Here are some pictures of my Gilera, which is the road version. My confusion has to do with the fact that my 98 Gilera Sei Giorni was originally white with a black and white tank. I've seen many pictures of similar color schemes in the 124 Gilera Sei Giorni, but the only 98 Sei Giorni are in red/orange. I'd like to have a picture to guide me in my restoration.

Also, in the Registro Storico Gilera it says the registration starting with 002 is a 1961 98 Sei Giorni and they don't list any other Sei Giorni models or years. I want to know about how many were made. I'm also wondering about whether there's any difference in the motor of the different 98 models.

siatamm
Angstbremser

Post by siatamm » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi Nozem,

I was in a bit of a rush last night to get photos posted so I want to add a few things. First of all thanks for your interest and thanks for the site to download manuals.

My thoughts/questions in no particular order.

In the U.S. it is quite common to find small motorcycles with low mileage,unlike most other places where people actually used them!. After people grew tired of them they put them in storage unfortunately it was often in a damp location. My 1968 Benelli only had 600 miles on it but the paint was very poor and my 64 Vespa is complete and original but totally rusted out at the floorboards.

Although the Gilera looks like it had a hard life it only shows 1480 miles on the odometer. I removed the engine head and found everything very clean and a perfect looking cylinder with no visible wear. I have a replacement rear fender and the restoration should be straightforward.

I have looked around carefully and have found no evidence of it having been painted another color. In fact I wish it had been the Gilera red with white, I think it looks great in those colors

Regards,

Peter

Vermont,USA

T.

Nozem
Gileristi

Post by Nozem » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:27 pm

Hi Peter, what a great bike you have got there *thumb* . Well worth restoring this one to it's former beauty!
The paint does indeed look original, although I have never seen a Gilera in this color combination. Who does :?:
I have attached a picture of a black 98 dated from september 1960. The fuel tank seems almost identical to yours.

To answer your question, the sei giorni featured special parts over the regular 98s like an alloy cylinder for better cooling and bigger valves.
With a slightly higher compression ratio this resulted in a whopping extra 0,5 HP 8)

Only 2.971 Gilera 98 sei giornis were produced. Production numbers are:
1961: 889
1962: 21
1963: 501
1964: 459
1965: 672
1966: 133
1967: 289
1968: 7
Production from 1965 on includes the FS (Fuoristrada) and Regolarita versions.

I hope this helps you a little bit!
Cheers, Nozem rulez

siatamm
Angstbremser

Post by siatamm » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:38 am

Hi Nozem,

Thanks for the information, It's really interesting. The more I look the more I see things that have been in front of me. In the Mick Walker book there is a copy of an ad on page 109 that I think shows a 98 6 Giorni. The fuel tank graphics are different than other 98s. Also it says it is available in red and white or black and white. I think the 124 in the ad is also a 6 Giorni. The seats are different too.

Regards,

Peter

Nozem
Gileristi

Post by Nozem » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi, great ad that you found in the book. I have the same book but I never noticed! You are right, the 124 in the same ad is in fact a 1964 Sei Giorni Special.

In 1961 Gilera introduced the 124 sei giorni which was red with a red and white fuel tank.
In 1964 they introduced the speciale version which was black and had a black and white fuel tank.
The Special has some more power parts then the earlier sei giorni.

What I didn't know until yesterday is that Gilera offered a scrambler version of the 124 sei giorni special too :roll:
There's one offered on eBay Italy at the moment but until yesterday I thought it was some kind of a basket case.
http://annunci.ebay.it/annunci/moto-e-s ... e/19258189

But check out the American ad that I found which means it is actually original :!:
And in the left bottom it shows a black and white 98 sei giorni super sports.
The fuel tank looks just like yours :mrgreen:

Greetings,
Nozem rulez

siatamm
Angstbremser

Post by siatamm » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi Nozem,

After looking at the photos I'm wondering if Gilera put something together to compete with the several brands of Japanese lightweight 2 stroke "enduro" models that were appearing in the U.S. around that time and not serious off road bikes. (although I lusted after a Yamaha Enduro at the time. I guess that dates me!) I notice the Gilera has neither the extra frame member at the rear nor the front fork brace.

The 98 you mentioned has a black frame so I still can't be sure what mine looked like but that gives me an excuse to paint it red or is it orange?

I've realized something about serial numbers. In the Registro Storico the data for serial numbers 002 states Jubilee 98 Six Days Edition 1961 but that means 1961 was the first year of production, not that mine is a 1961.

Regards,

Peter

Nozem
Gileristi

Post by Nozem » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi Peter,

Just send an email to the Registro Storico Gilera at registrostoricogilera@interfree.it and they will tell you exactly in which year and month your Gilera was produced.
I imported my own Gilera B300 without any papers (pink slips :?: ) or license plate to Holland and I needed this information to get the approval from the Dutch DMV.

Good luck!
Nozem rulez

siatamm
Angstbremser

Post by siatamm » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi Nozem

Thanks for the reply. I did write to the registro. For future reference I think their current address is
segreteria@registrostoricogilera.org

They said it is 1961-1962, not as specific as the date you got for your Gilera but still helpful.

Regards,

Peter