Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

Dode
Choke-Zieher

Float level

Post by Dode » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:30 am

Hi Folks,
Can anyone clear up the confusion about float level please?. The manual says 24mm, Dellorto say 18mm. Mine was flooding when I got it, float level was way out, so I set it to 24mm, no more flooding. It idles fine now, won't know what it rides like until I have it registered here. But, there's always a "but" isn't there?, it needs choke to fire up, even when at running temperature, this indicates a fuel level that's too low to me, should it be 18mm height?.
It's a PHF36PS
Thanks,
Alan

Joachim
Gileristi

Re: Float level

Post by Joachim » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:24 pm

what level did you had when the carb flooded?
Less than 18mm?
Maybe you will have to try the 18mm
Beside this it's the function of a choke to give help while starting a cold engine.
And even 20deg plus is cold from the sight of an engine :)
So i think *always* using the choke is ok.

ciao Joachim

Dode
Choke-Zieher

Post by Dode » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi folks,
When I got the bike (a 350), it had been flooding long enough to take the paint off the engine. Stripping the carb revealed the float had been bent up so much it was touching the carb body and the needle valve wasn't even seating!, so the float chamber was filling all the time. I set the level to the manual, 22 to 24mm, I'll re set it to 18mm and see how it runs.The carb is in good condition, and nicely clean.
My Morini has a flat spot caused by new type ethenol fuels, this is helped by increasing the pilot jet size, I'll see how the Saturno runs before I change anything I think.
Thanks for the answers.
Alan

Dode
Choke-Zieher

Post by Dode » Wed May 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi HP,
I re set the float height to 18mm, it seems to start better, but as I said, I'll have to wait until I ride it. The accelerator pump is working.
I use super unleaded in my older bikes, it doesn't cost any extra, I get a better fuel consumption when using it!.
Thanks,
Alan.