new phm 40 ns fitted

Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

Husky
Choke-Zieher

new phm 40 ns fitted

Post by Husky » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:24 am

Fitted the carb and it works great :). bought it from dellorto.co.uk.
I specified all jets plus needle float settings for them. The needle setting was wrong and float was standard PHM 18mm when I recieved it . Wonder if they even rejetted it didn t check jets :roll: . After discussions with my father he finally let me adjust float and I put it to a compromising 21 mm. AND it runs excellent. :D
So back again to the Float dilemma :oops: . Is it because the carb is tilted forward the Saturno is specced approx 24 mm float level? should I take it out again and bend even more even if it now seem ok? I m more than a a bit uphung in this now cause I have had so much trouble with my old carb. It had the classic too rich habbit run nice when cold and start spitting under acc when warm.(seem my old vs didn t close valve properly I saw after inspecting it.)
Regards Tom

Carburettor Float height, millimeters
PHBG 16 +/- 0.5
PHBL 24 +/- 0.5
PHBH 24 +/- 0.5
PHBE 18 +/- 0.5
PHF 18 +/- 0.5
PHM 18 +/- 0.5 :roll:
VHB/Z/T 24 +/- 0.5
PHSB* 11 +/- 0.5
VHSA* 11 +/- 0.5
VHSB* 11 +/- 0.5
* PHSB/VHSA/VHSB one piece float assembly.

Husky
Choke-Zieher

Re: new phm 40 ns fitted

Post by Husky » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:57 pm

I only have one. at least only one place to adjust.
I ll check the link thx.
Regards Tom

Edit: that was interesting to see all the different combos that divert quiet a bit from original. Not too hard to understand the German either just use some logic :).
I guess now that I have a combo that apparantly work fine I don t mess with it again. If I set level to 24 mm the cock will barly open before the float is restricted from futher movement downwards.

what carb do you have? two petrol cocks? with niveau were talking about float level right? not actual fuellevel in the bowl? 27 mm seem unbelieveable.

Regards Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Husky
Choke-Zieher

Post by Husky » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:22 am

Thx I get your point, I ll try not to have a breakdown although not every detail is under 100 percent control :wink: . I got that part of the float resting but not pressing that light return spring.
Thx for help
Regards Tom

Husky
Choke-Zieher

Post by Husky » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:39 am

Dear HP . Do you know if float level also affects idle speed? Mine clearly runs best with only one turn at 1500-4000 rpms. My floatlevel is 23 mm now, and I also use long time before I can let out choke.
Regards Tom

Husky
Choke-Zieher

Post by Husky » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:03 am

Hi again and thanks for quick answer HP.
my idle jet is 53 although I never checked they gave me as specified. I checked needle, main jet and acc pump . Its the area between 3500 and 4000 rpm with moderate acc it seems to wanna die out.I just put that fact together with the other behaviour ( idle 1 turn and needing choke 5 mins + a summerday)and try to remember physical laws also apply for my bike. I will try raise needle and see. and maybe go back to 22 mm float level. Change one thing at the time.
I got my jetsizes from downloaded saturnomanual. a bit difference fro Italy and Germany. I think mine is the german settings, but theyre quite similar as far as I can remember. And yes I read tons of stuff from Dellorto carbs hehe.
I also have my old VS and found what was wrong with it.The float never closed inlet valve at all because of some idiotic bending on the tap. Cant believe I didn t notice that earlier. In time I will rebuild it, so I have options.
Best regards . Thomas.

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:02 am

if it's a standard Saturno it should run with the standard jetting given in the manual.
HP always is thinking about racing Saturnos first giggle
Did you have a 'german' version or an italian?
If you don't know it can be testet at the exhaust outlet.
Thump.... italian
Finger... german

Sometimes there are converted versions out there.
Some people remove the little tube at the german exhaust damper and never modify the inlet rubber or/and the jetting.
I found this at several german Nordies converted from 27HP
So maybe it's worth to have a look.
You know the different jetting from the manual i think.
The rubber has to be fully open. In the german version there are some of the small rectangle parts closed.

If your Saturno is running fine on idle with the screw out only one turn, it should have either a to big idle jet and/or a wrong (to high) fuel level.
At least i would suspect this. But i may be wrong ;)

ciao Joachim

Husky
Choke-Zieher

Post by Husky » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

Thx for answer. I ll try the finger thumb trick :). I have german jet settings. At least thats what was on my vs so I assume its German version. It was in a link from hp I saw difference and there was a 145 mainjet there. Both Italian and German had 53 idlejet wich I now checked that I have.
Interesting what you say, that only one turn would mean too high fuellevel. wouldn t less air mean that the fuellevel was too low if higher level gives richer mix?
I have stock airfilter too.I use jettings specified in manual.

Best regards
Thomas

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:29 pm

Husky wrote: Interesting what you say, that only one turn would mean too high fuellevel. wouldn t less air mean that the fuellevel was too low if higher level gives richer mix?
Maybe i'm wrong ;)

If the level is to high, the idle system sucks to much fuel.
So you will have to turn the screw inwards.
But you also may be right.
Depends on how the idle screw works.
As far as i know on Saturnos it's regulating the amount of fuel (the mixture to be right)
There are systems where the amount of air is regulated.

Don't forget to check the rubbe rinlet of teh airbox if it's german.
If some oft he square holes are still closed, it's worth to cut them out, change tje main jet and de-germanise the exhaust damper ;)
Gilera claims about 4HP for that
By the way, i did not know if that's road legal for the place where you live ;)

ciao Joachim

Husky
Choke-Zieher

Post by Husky » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:07 am

Ohh I might have always misunderstood one thing then . I thought turning the screw out gave more air. Back to dellortomanuals:).
I ll check the squareholes .
Hmm road legal . As long as the papers are ok you nevver get trouble for a little extra noise *danke*
Regards Tom

Husky
Choke-Zieher

Post by Husky » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:06 am

Ok thank you very much for advices. Still I m not 100 percent sure wether turning the idle mix screw out gives more fuel or more air. Dellorto gives description of both systems. The phm 40 looks like the system that gives more air the more one turn out.
Inner diameter of my muffler end was 2,6 cm. I had no problem getting my thumb in there
One step at the time I ll end where I want to be. :) Thx .

Regards Tom

Husky
Choke-Zieher

Post by Husky » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:14 am

Just to "blog" an update ;)
Tried a bit with the needle raised, and it did miracles to the dying out area between 3 a 4 k rpm. Thats the area I needed choke for.
This raising resulted in an increased idle rpm slightly and now it seemed 1 1/4 turn out was better than 1.
If turning out this idlemix screw gives more fuel, then I need to sit back and read "Zen and the art of motorcycle maitenance"...again..
Now gonna try with 21.5-22 mm floatlevel. Last time with 21 mm it was idling steady as a rock.( with 23 mm it had an +- 50 rpm fluctuation wich is not a problem in itself but I read it as an indication of something not being correct.
Thankful for all help I got . Hope you don t mind I type down my progression :).
I m curious about that exhaust diameter though Joakim wich I meassured 2,6 cm. Possibly former owner put Italian exhaust and that might explain a lot. He is dead btw.
When I rebuild my VS I ll put other jettings following your excellent guide HP and use my KN filter(Is that what u ment with open airinlet HP?). Maybe even get a second nozzle.
Best regards Tom

Husky
Choke-Zieher

Post by Husky » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:52 pm

Thank you HP I will use that method.
Regards Tom

Husky
Choke-Zieher

Post by Husky » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Hello again sorry been off so long didn t see ur answer. I never saw rubbish just a little walkaround regarding the mixscrew direction some posts back :wink: . It runs fine now my bike, but have a feel that it could do with a slightly bigger main jet after some highway testing and feeling. mine is 138 (I think standard German). Im still very curious what muffle end size the italian ..or German are. Following Joakims measure method mine is Italian, but my fingers are a bit small. Anyway the exhaust opening measured 2.6 cm..or one inch.
Best Regards
Tom

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:54 am

send pics ;)
The exhaust looks italian.
Did you check the rubber at the inlet side of the air box?
If that's also 'italian' you should better switch to the italian jetting

ciao Joachim

Husky
Choke-Zieher

Post by Husky » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:53 pm

Thx for answer Joachim. All of the small squares are open . The previous owner is unfortunatly dead long ago , but he was known to fiddle with things. I might have got the bike during a changover . ( he fiddled a lot with the original carb but still had 38 mainjet.)
Former owner was Jon ødegaard in action here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkiveot7O5U
maybe you guys even heard about him :).
My feel for it going a bit lean still is not very scientific but I played with choke on long uphills on highway. got some experience from feeling on fuelmix with small arirplanes, but the gileras choke doesnt seem to alter airinlet. In fact I have no idea how it works :oops:
Best regards Tom