Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

andy352299
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

newbie with a apache

Post by andy352299 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi
my names Andy,
i have been riding bikes for 27 years, this is the first 125cc 2 stroke i have owned
i have recently purchased a rather scruffy 1993 apache.
so far i have blead the brakes new clutch cable. new end on the oil pump cable and adjusted the oil pump as per the manual,
the original fairing was missing and the cabling was rather messy, so i have fitted an enduro style headlight and made some brackets so the lights and clocks and indicators now attach to the forks, i need to get a shorted speedo cable the one i have is o.k but a shorter one would be better

now for the questions,
i have only seen the on line manual and i think the carb mixture screw should be 3/4 turn out - can anyone confirm please. i think the bike is running very rich it smokes when given lots of revs and the spark plug is very black and the bike never needs choke to start

the apts solonoid was seized when i got the bike i have fixed this and repaired the cable. i have looked at the manual to see how to adjust the apts but i have not done it yet - are there any tips ?

i think the crono has the same engine are there anyother parts that come from different models that fit ?,

any other advice would be greatful.
what other maintance things should i do.
thanks again

Joachim
Gileristi

Re: newbie with a apache

Post by Joachim » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:48 pm

andy352299 wrote:i have only seen the on line manual and i think the carb mixture screw should be 3/4 turn out - can anyone confirm please.
That's what the manual tells. So it is at least a good starting point.
Have you cleaned the carb?
Checked the jetting?
The air filter is ok?
The float level also is something to check.
i have looked at the manual to see how to adjust the apts but i have not done it yet - are there any tips ?
just do it like described in the manual. Take care to check that the cable is running very easy.
You can see/hear the systems working while turning the ignition key. There is a kind of a self check.

ciao Joachim

andy352299
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Re: newbie with a apache

Post by andy352299 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:08 pm

thanks Joachim

i have just been for a short ride bike seems to do max 65mph is this alright or should it be faster

you have spurred me on to do a bit more nothing,