Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Re: Saturno Owners in Australia

Post by Leow » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:40 am

Thank You,leo

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:02 am

Dear Joachim, I am sorry it has taken me a little while to get back to you with a full explanation of how everything I think ended up. Number one, I took the bike to an elderly gentleman who is what we call an auto electrician, Of European extraction and he was quite over the moon to see the wee Gilera wheelie in the back of his shop. He went through the whole electrical system piece by piece and his diagnosis of the lack of instant ignition was caused by the starter clutch (Spragg clutch) was defective and was draining all the battery charge and leaving not enough charge to give a good enough spark to ignite the fuel mixture. I I took the bike back home pulled the engine casings off and removed the starter clutch (which was in a very difficult stage of rotation) . After fixing the starter clutch and assembling the bike again with the help of your gaskets I recharge the battery and one press of the starter button and bang it fired straight away. I have had it out on the road a number of times, the temperature gauge gets up to the red but I cannot work out if the electric fan starts up or not .? I was speaking to a friend who restores English bikes and when I was telling him of the story regarding the Spragg clutch he told me of someone who had a Ducati 916 and after spending large amounts of money trying to figure out why it wouldn't fire up he sold it quite cheaply and the new owner simply replaced the Spragg clutch and the thing has never looked back. So there is somehow or other a moral in my long story. PS if the Australian from Melbourne reads this give me a whistle regards Leow

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:40 am

rulez

The Saturno temperature estimating gauge is well known for being not very reliable ;)
First you may check if your fan is working.
You can shortcut the temperature switch in the radiator.
Just connect the both wires you will find there under the rubber cap.
When the fan is turning then your switch maybe down. or the conectors are corroded, or....

ciao Joachim

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:04 am

HP, yes we get bugger all thats any good is allowed to come to Australia!! Leow

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:55 am

Dear anyone, does anyone know where to get a set of exhaust manifolds for a Saturno 500. It suddenly occurred to me on reading a post Friday, August 29, 2014, that the exhaust manifolds if they ever existed are pretty well crap. Thus, the necessity possibly of getting some new replacements. Regards Leow

mikewallis
Choke-Zieher

Post by mikewallis » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:07 am

There is a set on ebay in Australia for $220

Mike

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:21 am

mike,i couldnt find the items on ebay.could you give me a bit more info please ? i phoned metro in bris but they didnt have any but he said he is getting another 500 in soon!! leow

mikewallis
Choke-Zieher

Post by mikewallis » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:35 pm

I may have misunderstood your post, are you were looking for header pipes or something else?

The headers were listed by CENTREPOINT WHOLESALE in Brisbane. PH: (07) 32903102

Mike

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:58 am

Mike , i dont know if there were ever any exhaust manifold gaskets when i got the bike??? but i would like to know if i should be looking for some.i could probably cut some if i put my mind to it ,but it would be easier to buy a couple and probably fit better regards leo

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:42 am

if you are searching for header pipe *gaskets* you may look for this ones

outer diameter 42mm
inner diameter 28mm
thickness 3mm

fit to morini 250, several Suzukis etc

For pics have a look at this
http://gileraclub.de/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... 267#p50267

ciao Joachim

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:19 am

Small new problem, what is the best way to order new pads, and sealing kit for rear brake caliper (GRIMECA) on Saturno 500 . Is there anyone in Australia who sells these items or should I take my chances on eBay with the rest of the world? Regards Leo

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:40 pm

as far as i know the rear brake calipers of the Saturno and the Nordies are the same.
So the recommend seal kit for the Nordie should also fit.
But i am not shure if the Aprilia parts will be available down under ;)
If you have problems to find, please drop me a note i will see if i can help.

Nordies Bremssattel hinten Kolben Ø32
Aprilia Ref.: AP8113122 (Leonardo '99) und andere
Inhalt: 2 Staubschutzabdeckungen, 2 Ø32 Kolbendichtungen, 1Dichtring, 1 Staubschutzkappe

ciao Joachim

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:29 am

Joachim, thank you very much for the information. I phoned the local Aprilia dealer, like talking to a brick wall!
I sometimes think that buying Gilera parts would be easier on eBay. Except they're not very particular about branding their products with serial numbers.
The person at the local Aprilia dealer was not at all certain about what parts were in sealing kit. If there were pistons, and dust seals as well as the square O-rings. I was going to try and buy a caliper pin kit, to replace the existing. And also, two new brake pads. The caliper and master cylinder are both Grimeca and I see these advertised on eBay but it's very difficult as I say without serial numbers to know if you're buying the correct items.
Can you tell me if caliper pin kit AP8225334 is the correct items, and what brake pads, or do I just go into the local bike shop, take one of mine and ask for two of the same.?
Bob charged me about 280 pounds UK, from memory, I think. But, it worked.
I have dismantled the cooling system and going through every bit of it bit by bit to make sure that everything is working properly. When I removed the fan from its plastic housing I found that the housing was warped because of heat so I think the fan was having difficulty spinning freely. I removed the fan from its plastic housing and have carefully ground off the ends of the fan blades so that there is no chance of it touching the housing. But, I think the previous owner had also done that because the tips of the fan blades didn't appear to be as new. So, if the fan was only working intermittently then maybe the cooling was not fully effective. Checked the thermostat- okay, and the fan switch past current at just over 90°C. What temperature is the engine supposed to operate most efficiently at?
The Aprilia person was talking about four weeks to get the sealing kit from who knows where.
Yes the fan spins when you connect the two wires together.
I will see if I can get some exhaust gaskets (manifold) when I go up to the bike shops which is about 80K away, in the next couple of days. I bought a new set of floats for the PHM 40 Garbie, worked great for a while and then the motor started running terribly rich. So I pulled it apart, finally decided that I must've done something wrong when I installed the new floats in the carbie so I had a look there and you wouldn't believe it one of the floats sprung a leak. I complained to the Ducati people who I bought it from in Sydney and they sent me a new one,free. The new one talk about six months to spring a leak and start flooding the motor. Fortunately, I didn't throw the old one (original) so I reinstalled that one and it goes great. But, I can't blame this on Australian suppliers, because they told me it came from Italy, and the solution to the problem was to run a very very hot knife along the seam that had split. Great idea but it's very difficult to get the petrol out!! Living at the other end of the world does have its disadvantages ,
but also some advantages.
Today was a very cold winter's day, it got to 21°C.
Many thanks Leo

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:38 pm

I said as far as i remember... you know it's getting worse remembering things over the years ;)
i have send a mail to HP for confirming.

There is a list of brake pads here at the forum

Ferodo FDB 207R
Ferodo FDB 108PR
Vesrah VD 911
EBC FA 47
SBS 519

There should also be something available from Brembo and many other brands.
Maybe you will find a set of pads localy
I suppose it would be better to use something organic at the cast iron disc.

The sealings are available at ebay here around. About some 20 Euros i think.
If you can not find something close to you i will have a look for the shipping costs.
Maybe the sealings are small and lightweight enough to send them in a envelope at reasonable costs.

ciao Joachim

Leow
Reisschuessel-Liebhaber

Post by Leow » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:11 am

Joachim, thanks very much for the information, especially all the brake pads. I am also looking to buy a break caliper pin kit. Do Aprilia make the same as they do with the sealing kits.? What do they call the robber diaphragm which covers the edges of the piston? Is it called a dust cover? Regards Leo