Nordie Automatic Decompressor....help needed!!

Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

Chichor
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Nordie Automatic Decompressor....help needed!!

Postby Chichor » Fri May 18, 2012 1:22 am

At last I could find a Gilera in good condition and well maintained
This is a Nordie (1992), just the bike of my dreams from the first time I saw one... when I was 22 years old.
After having a look at the critical parts of this bike, I decided to replace the starting clutch (using KTM parts) as well as the water pump (rebuilt).
The bike is running pretty good but the battery is suffering more than normal when starting the engine.
Despite the fact that the battery is also new one, I can notice that it is being very hard for the battery to rotate the engine and it makes me think that the aut. decompressor is not working properly. (without the spark plug, the engine rotation when pushing on the starter button is quite fine!!)

What I need is some info (draws, photos or anythng else) about the decompressor for trying to check how is it working (I'm almost sure that the problem comes from the decompressor)

Any comments would be appreciated!! :D :D
Never Give Up !!

Joachim
Gileristi

Re: Nordie Automatic Decompressor....help needed!!

Postby Joachim » Fri May 18, 2012 8:28 am

automatic decompressor???
Usually the Nordies did not have one ;)
It's used on Saturnos or RCs and it's connected to the *kick* starter.
As the Nordie did not have a kick starter it also has no deco :mrgreen:

Back to your problem.
Your batterie is well charged? Sometimes there is a ground problem with the charging circuit. Check the wire to the rear frame under the seat.
Next, your batterie is really in good conditions?
Maybe you should try another one from a other bike for a test. Sometimes batteries suffer very fast when they are not used. In this case i know what i'm talking about ;)
The last one would be the starter engine itself. Maybe it's worth taking it apart and check if everything ist going well.
Good luck ;)

ciao Joachim

PS welcome and congratulations for getting the Nordie

Chichor
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Postby Chichor » Fri May 18, 2012 9:17 am

Hi Joachim *thumb*
Thanks a lot for your reply. Now I understand why I could not find any info about the Nordie's deco....it does not exist :oops: :oops:

Then the problem of my Norde must be the stater engine since the battery is fully charged and the starter clutch (free wheel) is also working fine asfar as I could check.

In fact, I tried to start the engine with my car's battery but nothing change...the engine rotates to slowly and it is like the starter need much more power for moving it. :roll: :roll:

One more thing....the + terminal of my new battery is a bit melted :shock: :shock: !!! I guess this is because the battery is trying too hard for moving the engine when I insist in turning on the bike . Once the engine starts, it works good and smoothly.

Without the spark plug (no compression) the stater moves much better but...

Today I will take out the starter motor and wewill see!!!

Thanks once more *thumb* *thumb*
Never Give Up !!

Joachim
Gileristi

Postby Joachim » Fri May 18, 2012 10:14 am

Chichor wrote:One more thing....the + terminal of my new battery is a bit melted

That's not good
Two things can cuase this.
First bad contact between the wire and the battery. Due to high resistance and high current the contact face get's hot and... Cleaning, done!
Second will be more expensive :(
Your starter engine has a problem with the windings. So it sucks much more current than it should.
I think you should take apart the engine and see.
Maybe a mechanical problem with the slip clutch.
Or the brushes are bad. Or the windings have a short cut :(
I think you can get the starter checked by someone who usually works on car electrics.
In Germany i would say... Bosch ;)

good luck, Joachim

Chichor
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Postby Chichor » Fri May 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi Joachim,

I have just left the starter motor on a Bosch Service dealer !!! (10 minutes ago...) *thumb*
They will take a look at the motor within this afternoon ad we will see!! ....now I'm just praying a bit til they call me.

Will post the result :wink:

I'm really looking forward to riding my Nordie again

Thank you very much beforehand for your support, *thumb*
Never Give Up !!

Chichor
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Postby Chichor » Fri May 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi Joachim,
Sorry for disturbing you so much :?

Starter motor is 100% OK. I just pick it up at the Bosh Service and they said that everything is normal.

Happy cause do not need to repair it.... but dissapointed cause I can not solve the problem of my Nordie :roll:

Following to your recommendations, I will try to check the wires ....with a multitester perhaps? :?: :?:

What I'm sure is that the + terminal of the battery got melted because of a high resistance.

and also I'm sure that the starter clutch (free wheel) is working well (it does not slip, gets locked at one way and gets free to the opposite way, as it must be)

a bit desperated now :(
Last edited by Chichor on Fri May 18, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never Give Up !!

Joachim
Gileristi

Postby Joachim » Fri May 18, 2012 6:44 pm

Chichor wrote:Starter motor is 100% OK. I ju pick it up at the Bosh Service and they said that everything is normal.

good news ;)

What I'm sure is that the + terinal of the bttery got melted because of a high resistance.

Hmmmm... what can you do now?
When the terminal is meltes you should have found the point where the problem is.
High current, bad contact --> hot
When the problem is anywhere else this could end up in too much resistance, therefore less current and a weak turning starter engine. But the melted terminal?
I would suggest to clean up the terminal and the battery pole. Maybe some copper grease would also give a help.
Checking the wires could also make things clearer.
Also have a look at the negative cable from the battery to the frame and the engine fixing bolts. If you have a multimeter connect it to the battery poles and measure voltage while starting. It should not be to much less than 12V.
The later Nordie versions have an inductive ignition which switches off when the voltage drops down below... sorry i can not remember the exact value.
Maybe someone else here has some better ideas

ciao Joachim

Return to “gileraclub.de-Classic english, french, italian language”