1957 rossa extra 175

Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

pedro
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

1957 rossa extra 175

Post by pedro » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:27 am

Hi everyone, I am a new member with a 57 Rossa Extra which I have had for a year or so, I bought it in restored condition, the previous owner only looked at it, he never rode it, my problem is that the bike is not running correctly and I am unable to find a handbook or any information on these bikes regards settings etc. if anyone can help me I would be very grateful. Happy riding, Pedro.

geert pardon
Gileristi

Re: 1957 rossa extra 175

Post by geert pardon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:54 pm

http://www.registrostoricogilera.org/
Give it a try over here.
They have a lot of information on the older models (and support of the factory)
Gileragreetings....geert

Nozem
Gileristi

Post by Nozem » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Hello Pedro, welcome to the forum. Great bike you have got, the rossa extra really is one of the classics! Everybody on this forum loves pictures, so if you are able to post some of your bike....? :lol:
On http://www.rpw.it/Documentazione.htm you will find a user and maintenance manual (Uso e manutenzione) and a parts catalog (Catalogo ricambi), all in italian and downloadable in PDF. If you need any additional information about your bike please let me know.

P.S. your ignition timing should be 6 degrees BTDC, best spark plug to run is a NGK B7 ES

Nozem rulez

pedro
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Post by pedro » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:14 am

Thank you so much Nozem. I stripped the motor down to check it over and found that it had been re-bored with almost no clearance for the piston, in fact with the rings removed the piston would still not slide down the bore without a push, also the o ring where the oil feed goes into the rocker box had been ommitted allowing the oil to run straight out again and so the valves were badly worn. A case of built for show and not for go I think. We will get it sorted I am sure. Thank you for your help. Pedro.