Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

Cagatay Reysen
Angstbremser

Bi-4 engine timing ?

Post by Cagatay Reysen » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:33 pm

Here is a question for experts;
How do we set the correct engine timing?
I am very confused about the signs on the cam gears at piston's top dead point...

greetings,
Cagatay

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:14 am

This is with piston in upper position ???
Don't try to start the engine :roll:

There are small marks on the outer ring of the wheels (one you can see in your picture on the outlet side)

The outlet one has to show to the front, the inlet one to the rear side of the engine.
Both marks have to be aligned with the upper surface of the cylinder head.
Piston in top position (see the marks on the flywheel and the crank case)

You may also have a look at http://www.rc600.de/html/downloads.html
Cristoph has the workshop manual online for download.

ciao joachim

Cagatay Reysen
Angstbremser

Post by Cagatay Reysen » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:06 pm

No, this is after a couple of unsuccessful start attemps with a dead battery :) thanks for your warning

İ think i did it as you told, with both Gilera marks side by side facing to each other when piston on top position (didn't look at the flywheel and crank, but put a stick through the spark plug hole on the piston).

The problem is; when i put my hand to the end of the silencer when trying to start, it feels as if it inhales the air instead of giving it out :roll: ...
Do you think it is normal? if so, i will just recharge the battery and try again...

by the way, i downloaded most of those manuals but there is the language problem:(

thanks a lot,
Cagatay

thorkill the tall
Angstbremser

Post by thorkill the tall » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:17 pm

If you are unsure if the motor is on the right stroke, just whip the rocker covers off so you can see the rocker arms.
While they're off, you might as well check the clearances :wink:

By the way, what's that bit of twisted copper wire below the exhaust pulley for?

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:41 pm

Cagatay Reysen wrote:İ think i did it as you told, with both Gilera marks side by side facing to each other when piston on top position
Might be that I understand this wrong....
The Gilera logos are face to face? The marks should be at the 'outside'. If I have a look at your picture I think we are meaning the same :)
But don't use the logos but the little marks.
(didn't look at the flywheel and crank, but put a stick through the spark plug hole on the piston).
But you also should use the marks on the flywheel. Luigi has placed them extra for doing this job :)
by the way, i downloaded most of those manuals but there is the language problem:(
I think Christoph has something in english. So together with the pictures this should be a big help. If I remember right... my first one was in italian and french or something like this :)
So only the pictures are a big help :)

ciao Joachim

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:54 pm

BTW..... did this engine ever run before????
If i can see this right on your picture, both of the pulleys are marked with 'S2'.
Is this right???

I'm not shure, but S means something with exhaust
And A means something with inlet. Yes the language... I can't remember the italian words.
So i would like to suggest to check this.
As the cam shafts are marked with 'S' and 'A' .. I'm not shure, but I think the wheels also should use this marks.
Right???

ciao joachim

PS and you should also use some new srews and thick washers for fixing the pulleys :)

PS again found on HPs News from -auf Wunsch des Beitragserstellers geloescht- part 3 :)

Inlet = Ammisione
Outlet = Scarico
Last edited by Joachim on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

powerslider
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Post by powerslider » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:57 pm

Hello! Sorry i can´t help you with the timing (never done it before...).
Is your bike a RC or a Nordie? Does it have a kickstarter?
The reason why i ask is because i´m looking for the decompression system (locked with wire), maybe you want to sell the shaft to me? :D

Gilgilera
Gileristi

Re: Bi-4 engine timing ?

Post by Gilgilera » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:38 am

Cagatay Reysen wrote:Here is a question for experts;
How do we set the correct engine timing?
I am very confused about the signs on the cam gears at piston's top dead point...

greetings,
Cagatay
Looking at the picture i can see you´re using a wrong cam(intake-right side of the pict.),...it should be an 'A' and not an 'S2',....., the engine timing is an easy thing to do if you´re using the manual that you´ve downloaded,...., i did myself after reading the timing instructions and my engine is like new again.

G.V
Last edited by Gilgilera on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cagatay Reysen
Angstbremser

Post by Cagatay Reysen » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:54 am

thorkill the tall wrote:If you are unsure if the motor is on the right stroke, just whip the rocker covers off so you can see the rocker arms.
While they're off, you might as well check the clearances :wink:
By the way, what's that bit of twisted copper wire below the exhaust pulley for?
Sorry i couldn't understand exactly, rocker covers ?
That copper might be about the old decompression cable, i'll check it out tomorrow :roll:
Joachim wrote: But don't use the logos but the little marks.
But you also should use the marks on the flywheel. Luigi has placed them extra for doing this job :)
I think Christoph has something in english. So together with the pictures this should be a big help. If I remember right... my first one was in italian and french or something like this :)
So only the pictures are a big help :)
Thanks, you're righ :)
Joachim wrote:BTW..... did this engine ever run before????
If i can see this right on your picture, both of the pulleys are marked with 'S2'.
Is this right???
The engine was running almost well before i opened it.
Yes, having two S2 cams looks pretty strange :) İ really don't know when and how this happened...
Joachim wrote: PS and you should also use some new srews and thick washers for fixing the pulleys :)
Ok, will do :)
Joachim wrote: PS again found on HPs News from -auf Wunsch des Beitragserstellers geloescht- part 3 :)
Inlet = Ammisione
Outlet = Scarico
thanks, nice information :)
powerslider wrote:Hello! Sorry i can´t help you with the timing (never done it before...).
Is your bike a RC or a Nordie? Does it have a kickstarter?
The reason why i ask is because i´m looking for the decompression system (locked with wire), maybe you want to sell the shaft to me? :D
Thanks for your interest, but it's a RC without a kickstarter...
Gilgilera wrote: Looking at the picture i can see you´re using a wrong cam(intake-right side of the pict.),...it should be an 'A' and not an 'S2',.....
Unfortunately it seems so... Can it mean trouble ? :?

I'll be considering all these information on the bike tomorrow and will inform you if i reach to a result. By the way don't hesitate to continue writing if you have other ideas...

Thanks,
Cagatay

Cagatay Reysen
Angstbremser

Post by Cagatay Reysen » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:51 am

Hi,
I looked at the cam shafts trough the valve covers today... They are correct with A and S on them, so only the A gear has been replaced.
So there shouldn't be a problem unless the A and S gears are indentical and their signs are in the same positions ? :roll: ?

Gilgilera
Gileristi

Post by Gilgilera » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:26 pm

So, it seems everything in order,....what are you waiting for ?........, place the rotor wheel in position (look at the mark on the manual),....., place each mark(cam shaft) to outside position(back to back),....check it on the manual again,....., thats all .

G.V

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:57 pm

Cagatay Reysen wrote:So there shouldn't be a problem unless the A and S gears are indentical and their signs are in the same positions ? :roll: ?
Are they???
Why should Luigi make 2 wheels with different letters on, when they are the same???
Be carefull what you are doing. Check back if there is some A pulley somewhere at your garage :)

ciao Joachim

Cagatay Reysen
Angstbremser

Post by Cagatay Reysen » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:38 pm

Hi Joachim, i think you're right again, i didn't think about Luigi :)
But i found what to do; i will examine the A pulley and timing on an other RC of a friend of mine in a nearby city.
My timing might be different than normal, should be carefull...

powerslider
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Post by powerslider » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:58 pm

One strange thing (another) is, if this is a bike without kickstarter why would it have the lever for the cable of the... Kickstart pedal?? Do all RC have this even without the kick pedal? :?

Cagatay Reysen
Angstbremser

Post by Cagatay Reysen » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:15 pm

That's another mystery i am curious about. Maybe until the last year they were producing it with kickstarter, or just to be suitable for adding one...
But as far as i know it's impossible to find a kickstarter set...

In my case, the lever was once used to connect a decompressor on the handlebar to ease the start. But later i got rid of it as it was not necessary with a healthy starter.

How about your Nordie now ? Maybe what you need is a KTM freewheel as Gilgilera did...