Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

Alchemist
Angstbremser

New Saturno Owner

Post by Alchemist » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:37 am

Hello to all from Australia,

I've just gone through the difficult process of importing a Saturno form the UK. Apart form Dale Cullens bike which everyone has probably seen I think there may only be one other in AU.

Import was a hassle but the little red devil is now safely in my garage being pulled apart and cleaned etc.

Its (apparently) only done 5000km and came from Japan originally (1988 model). A bit dirty and a few cosmetic problems but nothing that can't be fixed.

I will have a host of questions but to start with......front fork seals blown, who has them. All blinker stems perished. Any spares ? What modifications are best to start with. New front springs (I weigh 90kg), new rear shock ?, head work. Its still got the original carb and airbox. Can someone give me the part no for the K&N or will anything that fits the carb do the job.

Speaking of carbs, what are the recommendations there. Mikuni, Keihin flat slide...leave it !!!

Anyhow, a new member for the tribe and hope to develop my little devil :twisted: into something as nice as some I've seen here. :D

cheers
Paul

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:31 am

First of all..... the timing belt!!!
If it wasn't used for a long time, don't even start it. That may end up in bent valves or other rather expensive things :(
For parts... you may get in touch with Gottfried at www.hahne-power.de
with Volker Heim at www.heimracing.de or Bob Wright at www.bobwrightmotorcycles.co.uk

good luck, Joachim

Alchemist
Angstbremser

Post by Alchemist » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:55 am

Joachim,

many thanks. Yes I guess I viewed the timing belt as more maintenance than modification. I haven't started it and don't intend to until I've changed all the fluids, checked all the connections etc and done the belt.

I have already emailed Gottfried and Volker and am waiting on a reply. Dale Cullen suggested a mikuni flatslide carb which I note Gottfried has for a good price so I might just save time and buy that as well.

thanks again for the recommendation

pppdrive
Lachgastuner

New Saturno owner

Post by pppdrive » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:37 am

Gidday Paul,

Welcome to the world of Gileristi and particularly to the Saturno Owners. I do have a list of known faults of the Saturno (nothing too serious, but certain things need to be checked fairly often before any damage can be done) and can email you a copy if you wish, I'm on gilera@igottagilera.co.uk

I'm also sending you a private message with some other details.

Regards,
Paul (I spent many happy years in Melbourne and then Hervey Bay, Qld before having to return to the UK)