Gilera Saturno info wanted...

Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

gb8561

Gilera Saturno info wanted...

Post by gb8561 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:50 pm

I'm currently looking at an '89 Gilera Saturno and would like some feedback from owners and also information on the bike itself. I've been out of bikes for a long time and this will be my first one in a decade. It was a model that I lusted over many years ago! For some reason I remember that the motor wasn't built by Gilera but was sourced from another manufacturer. Can anybody confirm that? Sorry to be so naive...hoping for some help!

Thanks, Gavin

Joachim
Gileristi

Re: Gilera Saturno info wanted...

Post by Joachim » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:55 pm

gb8561 wrote: For some reason I remember that the motor wasn't built by Gilera but was sourced from another manufacturer.
For some reasons this rumour is spreaded by someone....
On (nearly) everything on which Gilera is written.... there is pure Gilera in. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ciao joachim

michele
Choke-Zieher

Post by michele » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:50 pm

The bike was built on licence, i.e. the plans weren't in-house ... but was all built by gilera

ciancaro
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Post by ciancaro » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:38 am

Hi guys

I can give right info, because I was working there at the time, even if I was not directly involved on this project ( I was later Project leader of Piuma).

The engine is 100% Gilera and it was same big single used at that time on RC 600, with some specific modification (carb was single dellorto, for ex).

The story that the project was done outside is incorrect, but it's true that this project was originally launched under a specific contract of a big Word Wide Japanese Trading Company, named Itoh, which was searching for a special single cyl to sell in Japan.
Also the space frame with wide alu rear arm support idea was specifically asked by this company, as project specification.
This trading, by contract, was exclusive seller of Saturno in Japan and they sold some Thousand of Saturnos only there (that's why Saturno is so well known in Jap!!).
After a while Gilera starts to sell saturno also in Europe.

This project was followed as Project Leader by famous Engineer Sandro Colombo, who was team director at the time of glorious Gilera 500 4 cyl many times Word Championship winner on 50s and later team director in Ferrari on 60s/70s; Eng. Colombo is also autor of a precious book on the Gilera 4, which I strongly suggest to get to everyone because is a really masterpiece.
At that time Eng. Colombo was in Gilera as technical consultant and I had the honour to know him and work together for a while.......even close to 80 years old he still is a motorcycle's God and a lovely people!!!

Anymore info.....available to get, until my memory can reach.

Bye everybody

Romolo
CIANCA