125cc > 168cc tuning kit by Malossi

Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

gileramad
Site Admin

125cc > 168cc tuning kit by Malossi

Post by gileramad » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:02 pm

One question always asked is if there are any stock tuning kits for the Gilera 125cc engines.

The answer is yes and no - there seem to be different kits by Malossi and Polini for the older engines with the intake in the cylinder (ER/RRT/Fast Bike/KK/KZ etc.) and no kits for the newer engines (SP02/Crono/CX/etc.).

I bought a CVF II Kit made by Malossi on Ebay-Italy and took some photos:

The data:
Compression: 14,8:1
Max power: 31,15 CV @ 8250
Max torque: 2,4 kgm @ 7250

Besides mounting the new Cylinder you have to work on the APTS Power Valve wich is to be made a bit bigger, change 2 clutch springs with the enforced ones in the kit and adjust the Power Valve, your Carburetor set-up and timing.

The kit is still in Malossi´s catalogue but i don´t know if they still ship it. Gottfried already said he´ll try to get some...

hahne
Gileristi

Post by hahne » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:02 am

I was very enjoyed about this Kit, more power around all ranges. I will order some kits January.
By Gottfried

BaST
Choke-Zieher

Post by BaST » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:54 am

Weisst du ob man das auch auf 200 er Gilera montieren kann und ob das auch funktionieren wird??

hahne
Gileristi

Post by hahne » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:07 am

Hi Bast, write in english please! ....that other people are be able to understand you! - You can fit it, but without function of Power-valve system ....you must fix it. Otherwise, I have 168 cc-cyl. without Power-valve: more power then original 200 cc/original !!!! By Gottfried

gileraman1
Angstbremser

Re: 125cc > 168cc tuning kit by Malossi

Post by gileraman1 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:18 pm

Gileramad suggested that there were no kits for the newer engines (SP02/Crono/CX/etc.).

I have just added a 1993 2500km unmarked GFR to my collection.
Looking around the web I found this page where a guy has used a 160 Polini kit to get 40cv and speeds of 200km/hr from his GFR. Have a look at his page at http://www2.motorino.it/miomotorino/vedi.php/554.html

Does this mean the GFR is the older engine?

Anyway I have only ridden mine once so no mods planned yet!

Ciao a tutti,
Nick
RC600C,Nordwest 350,Nordwest 600 X2, Saturno,GFR 125,RS 50 Trial

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:16 pm

the next one.... maybe some time I'll find someone with a spaere fairing for making moulds :lol:
The GFR engine must (IMO) be newest one, because the GFR was the last modell of 125ccm bike Gilera built.

ciao Joachim

gileramad
Site Admin

Post by gileramad » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:04 am

Joachim is right - the GFR has the same motor as the CX.
Maybe he uses an old motor or there is a kit i haven´t heard of.

SP 01

Post by SP 01 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:04 am

Is there any big bore kits which would fit to my SP 01?

hahne
Gileristi

Post by hahne » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:34 am

Is possible; you must fit an old type engine!!!! You can change all 125 cc-engines each other (watercooled), only the line of intake rubber is different, but I think, no Problem! By Gottfried

...I dont know absolutely about Big-bore kits for new type :-(

gileramad
Site Admin

Post by gileramad » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:16 am

Looks like they sell a tuned 125cc motor at Ebay.it ->(c)lick here :)

bded
Angstbremser

Post by bded » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:15 pm

gileramad wrote: Besides mounting the new Cylinder you have to work on the APTS Power Valve wich is to be made a bit bigger, change 2 clutch springs with the enforced ones in the kit and adjust the Power Valve, your Carburetor set-up and timing..
Hy, I also bought that kit and installed it but as I dont know itallian I didn't modificat APTS bicause instructions are in itallian so if anybody knows or is willing to translate following text or explain it I would appreciate

MODIFICHE VALVOLA APTS
Per ottenere le prestazioni ottimali e’ indispensabile raccordare la valvola parzializzatrice al condotto di scarico del nuovocilindro asportando le zone tratteggiate Indicate nel seguente schema. L'intervento puo' essere effettuato impiegando sia una pistola smerigli atrice pneumatica che una serie di lime adate all 'asportazione del materiale in eccedenza. Per raccordare correttamente il profilo della valvola inserire quest’ultima nell’apposita sede del nuovo cilindro disponendola in modo che il condotto di scarico risulti completamente aperto;tracciare quindi sulla valvola stessa il profilo del materiale in eccedenza da asportare. Durante le fasi di lavorazione fare attenzione a non modificare altre superfici che non corrispondano a quelle tratteggiate in figura. Rifinire con cura le superfici lavorate e lavare la valvola stessa con benzina prIma del montaggio

Allso if anybody knows how to adjust Dellorto PHBH 28 (mixture screw) to explain.

hahne
Gileristi

Post by hahne » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:35 pm

You must modfied the outlet-valve!!! ... so that piston have no any contact!! Take a 32 or 35mm-carb.. Bye Gottfried

bded
Angstbremser

Post by bded » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:54 pm

hahne wrote:You must modfied the outlet-valve!!! ... so that piston have no any contact!! Take a 32 or 35mm-carb.. Bye Gottfried
I know I have to modify valve, but can I do that with hand tools and how or it has to be machined? I don't understand this: so that the piston have no any contact.... which piston, contact with what?

I would like a bigger carb but I don't know where to buy rubber flange for it, and which model can be fitted on Gilera XR1 ?

hahne
Gileristi

Post by hahne » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:27 pm

Contact piston --> outlet-valve; the cutting must be greater. Bye Gottfried

gileraXR1
Gileristi

Post by gileraXR1 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:59 am

bded wrote:
gileramad wrote: Besides mounting the new Cylinder you have to work on the APTS Power Valve wich is to be made a bit bigger, change 2 clutch springs with the enforced ones in the kit and adjust the Power Valve, your Carburetor set-up and timing..
Hy, I also bought that kit and installed it but as I dont know itallian I didn't modificat APTS bicause instructions are in itallian so if anybody knows or is willing to translate following text or explain it I would appreciate

MODIFICHE VALVOLA APTS
Per ottenere le prestazioni ottimali e’ indispensabile raccordare la valvola parzializzatrice al condotto di scarico del nuovocilindro asportando le zone tratteggiate Indicate nel seguente schema. L'intervento puo' essere effettuato impiegando sia una pistola smerigli atrice pneumatica che una serie di lime adate all 'asportazione del materiale in eccedenza. Per raccordare correttamente il profilo della valvola inserire quest’ultima nell’apposita sede del nuovo cilindro disponendola in modo che il condotto di scarico risulti completamente aperto;tracciare quindi sulla valvola stessa il profilo del materiale in eccedenza da asportare. Durante le fasi di lavorazione fare attenzione a non modificare altre superfici che non corrispondano a quelle tratteggiate in figura. Rifinire con cura le superfici lavorate e lavare la valvola stessa con benzina prIma del montaggio

Allso if anybody knows how to adjust Dellorto PHBH 28 (mixture screw) to explain.
WOW! I want it!!!!!
It's a wonder and powerful engine!
Translation:
APTS VALVE MODIFICATIONS
In order to obtain the optimal performances it's indispensable to join at same level the exaust valve to the exaust of the new cylinder; start to remove material like the outlined zones (look at the draw).
This job can be executed employing a pneumatic gun with a rotary cutter and a set of appropriate rasps (to remove all "surplus" material).
In order to join correctly at same level the profile of the valve and the cylinder, insert valve correctly in new cylinder (open position) and draw the right signs by a permanent pen.
Make attention! no modify other parts of new cylinder (just outlined in figure).
Polish with care all new modify surface and wash it with fuel before assembly it.
*thumb*

Good job!

Marco
Gilera XR1 125 Blue/W
Gilera XR1 125 Red/W
KTM EXC 450
Garelli Vip3 N
Honda CRM 125